Ahh, Valentine's Day. Day for lovers and... another commercial attempt to stimulate the economy. I know, I know, don't be such a downer. So here is some fun little info for you to get yourself ready for heart day.
First, a little Disney couples quiz to get you motivated (Don't worry I'll provide the answers at the end--but no peeking!)
1. She loves books but kissing her true love broke the spell.
2. This couple should have worn bibs for their puppy-love kiss.
3. He thought kissing would be niiice, but the idea turned her green.
4. He didn't kiss the girl at first, but made a big splash in the end.
5. Her beau knows not to ruffle her feathers, especially since they have been dating since 1937.
Next, a little history lesson. Valentine's Day is celebrated by the giving of cards, flowers and/or confections to ones lovers *hence the commercialism aspect--sorry I'll be good*. Of course, the sending of cards has been big since the nineteenth century in Great Britain.
It is named after 2 early Christian martyrs named Valentine. The funny thing is there is very little known about these saints besides their names even though they have been associated with the holiday for centuries.
The day became associated with love in the high middle ages during Chaucer's time when courtly love was becoming fashionable. Although, the poem Chaucer penned, to celebrate the engagement of King Richard II of England and Anne of Bohemia, referred to love birds mating on Valentine's birthday. However, it was unlikely he was referring to mid-February in England. More likely he was referring to early May when saints day for Valentine of Genoa was celebrated.
Now the answers to my little quiz--did you get them right?
1. Belle and the Beast
2. Lady and the Tramp
3. Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen
4. Princess Ariel and Prince Eric
5. Donald Duck and Daisy Duck
Happy Valentine's Day, friends!